Breakout Novel Intensive 2.0
SEPTEMBER 17 - 23, 2018
SEPTEMBER 23 - 29, 2019
San Antonio, Texas
Join author/literary agent
Donald Maass for a one-of-a-kind learning experience!
Are you ready to take your writing to the next level?
Would you like to spend a challenging, inspiring week learning from a master of fiction craft and other industry pros?
Are you ready for professionals to provide you with one-on-one feedback on your writing?
Do you want to create memorable, stirring stories that create passionate, lifelong readers?
Whether you're interested in traditional or independent publishing success, this workshop is for you!
For sixteen years, Donald Maass and Free Expressions Seminars have partnered in offering one of the industry's most acclaimed writing workshops.
Included are new or revised units on story discovery, strong voice, standout characters, the inner journey, compelling story worlds, beautiful writing, creating resonance and finding meaning in both story and process.
Breakout fundamentals are also covered: strong characters, inner conflict, personal stakes, plot layers, powerful scenes, micro-tension, practical theme techniques and much more.
Writers of commercial fiction who wish to soar out of category, as well as literary novelists who want to learn how to make powerful story principles work for them, will find the Breakout Novel Intensive 2.0 an idea-packed and career enriching experience.
This workshop is as ideal for those just beginning a new project as it is for those embarking on a revision of a completed work. While writers at all level of craft are welcome, we assume a basic understanding of fiction craft.
“Expect to work harder than you have ever worked but to come away with a novel that is bigger and more powerful than you ever imagined you could write.”
-- Donald Maass
Further staff, TBA
SEE WHAT FORMER STUDENTS HAVE TO SAY
- Morning classes with Donald Maass, geared toward building students' specific projects using concepts covered in his popular, Writing the Breakout Novel, Writing 21st Century Fiction, and The Emotional Craft of Fiction.
- Private room and bath, plus ALL meals from workshop start to finish, beginning with dinner on Monday and ending with breakfast on Sunday.
- A private thirty-minute consultation with Donald Maass, who reads fifty pages of each student's manuscript and other supporting material.
- Private consultations with editors/authors Lorin Oberweger, Brenda Windberg and other industry pros.
- Customized instruction geared toward students' specific writing needs and questions.
- A special session on micro-tension and other evening offerings.
- Access to private writing resource section on Free Expressions website.
- Invitation to attend the *exclusive* BONI Graduate Learning Retreat.
In order to ensure an intimate and productive environment for our students, enrollment is strictly limited to forty writers. Participation is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so please register early.
The September Breakout Novel Intensive (BONI) is being held at the Doubletree Suites by Hilton in Tampa, Florida. It is ideally located in Rocky Point, close to the airport with views of the bay on all sides.
Close to beaches, shopping, dining and entertainment, this all-suite Tampa Bay hotel offers a waterfront location near the Tampa Westshore area.
3050 N. Rocky Point Dr. West
Tampa, FL 33607-5800
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
Location to be announced.
New Student Registration Cost: $2395
Returning Student Registration Cost: $2295
Commuter Option: $1995
Workshop cost includes private room and bath, all meals (from dinner on Monday-breakfast on Sunday for a total of six breakfasts, five lunches, six dinners), plus workshop materials. (Accommodations for special dietary needs are available. Instructions for requests will be sent after registration.)
There are a limited number of commuter student spaces that do not include a hotel room but do include all meals.
Payment plans may be available. Contact email@example.com for details.
* IMPORTANT * HOOD RIVER ONLY: Because of costs from the hotel, a room with a view of the Columbia River will cost an additional $200, which you will find as an add-on option on the registration page.
The Breakout Novel Intensive has a limited number of seats and sells out quickly.
Don't be disappointed, register today!
After registration, email will be sent to to all students including instructions for submissions (synopsis, manuscript pages) to be reviewed by Don and staff prior to the workshop. There will also be additional information on one-on-one schedules, private meetings, and venue information.
Many students find reading Don’s book, Writing the Breakout Novel, prior to the workshop helpful to familiarize themselves with the concepts and for greater retention and application.
For more information, please call 813–391–8980 or write to Lorin Oberweger, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.